Table of Contents
Using your PC to provide your digital oscilloscope much of the display and processing is a good way to cut on costs while still getting the best performance. It is recommended to buy the best USB oscilloscope out there if you’re after portability and if you’re always near your computer when working.
The use of USB scopes is widespread, as a result, they have become the typical way of realizing this. There are many options available on the market, so we have come up with a list of some of the top PC oscilloscopes today to narrow down your choices.
|Sample Rate: 48MS|
|Sample Rate: 1GS/s|
|Sample Rate: 12.5MHz|
Sample Rate: 2.4MSa/s
|Sample Rate: 200MSPS|
Advantages of Using PC USB Oscilloscopes
Using USB or PC oscilloscopes come with many advantages. Some of these include the following:
- Cost Effective. One of the main advantages of USB scopes is cost affectivity. Processing power, display, and power supply are all readily available on your computer, which means you don’t need to replicate them within your PC oscilloscope.
- Easy and Simple to Setup and Use. Connecting your computer and USB oscilloscope is pretty simple. USB is a well tried and tested interface that’s very easy to set up. Also, the software that comes with these devices is easy to implement as well.
- Large Screens. Most laptops and personal computers come with a good-sized screen, which means that you can see the waveform images without difficulty.
- You can Utilize Existing Equipment. You are not likely to purchase a new PC or laptop since USB scopes utilize your already existing equipment that’s likely to be available already.
- PC oscilloscopes are much smaller compared to dedicated oscilloscopes. Most engineers doing fieldwork are more likely to have a laptop with them, so a USB oscilloscope offers a real advantage because of because of their size.
The 5 Best USB Oscilloscope
1. Hantek HT6022BE Oscilloscope
The Hantek HT6022BE USB Oscilloscope is typical of the type. This PC-based digital storage scope comes with the necessary cables and software to get all your data and transfer them to your PC or laptop screen. The brand is famous for manufacturing quality devices, so you know you’re getting your money’s worth on this one.
The versatile Hantek 6022 BE comes with two probes which you can use on different applications. It offers a 20MHz bandwidth and 20 automatic measurements. You can also save your waveform stats to Microsoft Excel or send it as an email attachment to share with others to get opinions. This USB scope is ideal for hobbyists or enthusiasts.
2. PicoScope 2204A
PicoScoope 2204A is manufactured by one of the best oscilloscope brands today. It has a clean design and weighs about 700g, making it easy to fit and carry around in your laptop bag. This highly popular PicoScope model is also easy to use,
This USB oscilloscope has enough bandwidth to use at home with an impressive transfer rate of 100MS/s. It also has a dedicated software allowing it to perform more complex operations that are not usually achieved by affordable and small PC-based scopes. The PicoScope 2204A is a well-built and durable device offering value for money.
3. Velleman PCSGU250 USB-PC Scope + Generator
The Velleman PCSGU250 USB-PC Scope is a multi-function device. With this unit, you don’t need to run multiple tests that will consume your time and workspace. It comes with a software for recorder and channel oscilloscope, function generator, bode plotter and spectrum analyzer.
Moreover, it gives you the capability to create waveforms using its wave editor. You can even produce wave sequences using a computer input or file for automatic measurements. The Velleman PCSGY250 USB Oscilloscope with Generator is great for any hobbyists looking for best value for their money.
4. Hantek 1008C Automotive Oscilloscope
The Hantek 1008C PC USB 8-Channel Digital Oscilloscope is a very versatile device designed with a specific purpose in mind. It is mainly used on automobiles offering a wide array of diagnostics to help you with all issues regarding any type of vehicle.
It’s a very compact and yet robust device perfect for any home garage buff or home mechanic. Simply put, if you’re looking for a USB oscilloscope made specifically for vehicles, the Hantek 1008C is a scope you may want to consider adding to your collection.
5. PicoScope 2205A USB Oscilloscope
The PicoScope 2205A USB Oscilloscope is a carefully designed solid device. Its software is updated regularly providing a flawless performance throughout. It’s also a versatile portable scope with a wide range of trigger, measurements and configuration options.
The PicoScope 2205A offers a good compromise on channels, sample rate, memory depth and bandwidth.
If you’re after a PC scope that can do the job right or a tool for general purposes, this device is worth considering. It has all the abilities and features that will make any hobbyist busy and happy.
USB oscilloscopes are devices that you need, especially if you’re a hobbyist or looking for something to use solely at home. The PC-based scopes on this list are versatile, capable, made for the purpose and affordable. If you’re still using a traditional oscilloscope, you may want to consider upgrading to one of these portable devices that can do the job as well.